Thursday, January 6, 2011

All in a Day's Work for the Amazing Miss Roo

Riley had her 15mo check up today, oddly enough the day she turned 16mo. It's so strange to see the pediatrician at 12mo and then at 15/16mo. She was only rarely experimenting with walking last time we saw him. This time she was running all over the room. As an added bonus she'd also pulled down her skirt and was stepping out of it when the doctor came in.

I had my back to the door and was filling out some paperwork they gave us at the front when I heard "Why, hello Riley you've got no pants." Sure enough I looked down to see her smiling up at me in all her diapery glory. Good first impression I'm the mom who had all the surgeries wheeling in with Riley in my lap. It would be nice to at least look like I had things together.

Toddlers are great for keeping you modest. Dr. J was pleased with her growth. Her weight has apparently "tapered off." She's down to 18lbs 9oz below average for her age, but her height was exactly average at 33in. I guess it's her destiny to be tall and thin, my little ballerina.

He claims her infamous bump is stable, but I don't know how he can tell under all that hair. I know I should thank my lucky stars for such a healthy girl, but I miss life before hemangiomas. I only had about a week or so with Riley before those bumps appeared and it's likely they will never cause a problem and be gone by kindergarten, but Mike loves to do Internet research (especially when I ask him not to) and I'll be more comfortable when they're gone.

Today's poke was the MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella). I'm so glad this was the second to last of the 'shots every visit' appointments. I had some passing anxiety about shots without nursing during and after. It was the second time in a week I really missed "the magic boob." What could I console her with? It worked out that I was reading her a book in my lap (No, No Yes, Yes by: Leslie Patricelli)when he returned ready to do the deed. I continued reading and gently restrained her while he gave the poke. She started to cry so I shut the book so I could hold her. Isn't that amazing about toddlers? Even when you're the one who held them still while they got a shot or whacked their head pitting them in the car they still reach for you to be comforted. I know that won't last.

Through her tears Riley insisted, by opening the book right back up and pointing, that I continue. She had a valid point we hadn't finished the book. After we were done reading the book we made our way into the hallway where sobs had been replaced by inconsistent whimpers.

Dr. J's staff were kind enough to walk me out to the car which was such a help because I wanted nothing more than to get this tired (Thanks daddy for rescheduling this appointment during her nap time) cranky baby home fast. The wheelchair was folded and loaded, the baby was buckled and we were on our way in less than 5mins from arriving at the car (that's great time for hobble-along mommy).

As we pulled out I looked in my "child view" mirror and saw my pretty girl smiling in her big girl carseat and pretending to drink a cup of tea. The resilience of childhood should be harnessed!

1 comment:

  1. If only! My mom wanted to harness my physical energy as a child,I could sure use it now;)

    ReplyDelete