Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Feeling Human Again

Today was my wonderful baby juggler friend's birthday. I schemed for awhile to orchestrate a mom's afternoon off. Her wonderful husband agreed to watch the babies. I went over in the morning so Riley could play. They had a blast and when they went down for nap we were off.

We went to get our nails done. I was never a high maintenance girl, but when I was single I found my way to the nail place on the corner twice a month for a pedicure. I haven't had a pedicure BY MYSELF (sans baby) in 8mos of pregnancy + 16mos of Riley's life=2yrs, at least. Which isn't really all that socking since the occasional doctor's appointment is really the only thing I do without Riley these days.

This was an important turning point for me. It felt like I'd been under water all this time and had finally made it to the surface for air. I may have taken a few steps in the right direction when Riley was 6mos, but when she was 8mos I had the back surgery which knocked me back to the days of having a newborn (or worse) as far as taking care of myself is concerned.

Eating, brushing my hair and teeth, showering, changing my clothes were not as high on my priority list as they once been. Doing my hair and make-up were things I had hazy memories of from a mythical time when I slept past 7:30am on weekends. It was worse than just being too exhausted from only being permitted to sleep 2hrs at a time, this time around I was not physically capable of any of it.

Even 8mos past the back surgery (2mos after hip surgery) I can't dress myself. I also have to "get flat" `several times a day and I'm just done with being conscious by 9:00 when the kids go to bed. Beyond that I was "on call" for breast feeding for 13mo and between the baby and surgery I didn't get out alot.

Today felt like the first steps on the road to feeling human again. Pedicure-check, Shirts that actually fit me instead of the stretched out stuff I wore all through pregnancy and breastfeeding-check. Friday I'm using the gift card I got for Christmas to get my hair done. Let's have more thinking about just me time especially if it means I stop cringing when someone gets me in a picture.

Riley inspecting my pedicure: (OPI Kinky in Helsinki)

No comments:

Post a Comment