Monday, January 3, 2011

Drop Rail Cribs

Drop Rail Cribs

How can it be after decades of use that drop rail cribs are illegal. I am enraged first as a woman under 5feet and as a disabled woman. Why wouldn't they demand the cribs conform to a higher safety standard instead? Or at the least wait until a safer alternative that doesn't require lifting 10-30lbs of baby over a solid rail. I don't know what short and or disabled mothers will do? What are the options if you're not capable of lifting your baby over a solid rail. Letting the baby sleep in your bed? Not so safe. Mattress on the floor, again not so safe. What if you climb a step ladder lean down to put the baby in and slip. Either injuring the baby or cracking your own ribs? Is there no advocate for mothers?

I'm really distraught about this. My physical limitations make my independence as a parent difficult enough. Now popular opinion has caused the government to go to an extreme. If I were pregnant now I would be lost. I'm so sorry that babies got hurt, but we're not talking about lead paint here. We're talking about a staple of baby care.

4 comments:

  1. Stephanie: I agree with everything you said in your post, Katie. I'm 5'2, and still having back issues from my first pregnancy. We just bought the crib for the baby I'm expecting in March - and the sight of those solid rails is driving me nuts already.... I don't understand why there can't be some middle ground: a crib that is both safe and has a way of conveniently getting to the baby without reaching and leaning! I can't imagine how you are handling it with your physical issues, especially post-surgery. It's a shame. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kati: I disagree. I may be the loan voice in this one, but for me it was all about K's safety. I'd heard too many horror stories about babies being hurt in cribs with drop sides. I worked at a peds hospital and heard story after story about kids losing limbs and even death. Now, if they could find a way to make them safer I might re-think the idea, but when we were crib shopping I did lots of research. I did lots of testing on my own. I'm not super tall either, so there were questions about a possible step stool and all of that, but in the end it was just me dealing with it. We have a solid wood crib (no pressed particle board) that I can put every ounce of my weight on. I lean on that rail often and it hasn't once even shook. It was more expensive, but it was an area we weren't willing to compromise in. We even looked at cribs that had a top part that could be folded back but I just saw little fingers getting pinched.
    (I should also say that I've been in a house unable to get out due to snow/ice since Sunday. This is after two weeks of Christmas. I'm pretty cranky and may delete this comment tomorrow.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no don't delete a word I enjoy seeing all the angles. I was concerned about safety to, but had litteraly no budget for a crib and I knew from conception I wasn't having anymore babies so I didn't want to invest in the most expensive one. I have a beautiful hand-me-down drop rail, very well made. I will give it back when Riley moves to her bid girl bed. I love you Kati, thanks for being pregnant right before me.

    ReplyDelete