Friday, January 14, 2011

Almost the Right Time and Place...

Morning baths are never a good sign, but Riley enjoys an occasional upset in the routine. She loves baths and really any excuse to be in the forbidden bathroom. We've been slowly introducing the idea of the potty for months at this point, because well, why not? So, this morning she comes in and hands me her potty seat right away so I swiftly un-diaper her and place her for potty usage.

As usual she gleams at me as if I've set her atop a golden, jewel encrusted throne. It's probably her beloved Sesame Street potty seat that fills her with joy, but she is getting the idea. I'm positive it's sinking in because she makes a peeing sound and points into the toilet bowl while sitting there as if to say "see Mom I know how it's supposed to go."

Today was no different. She sat happily making her sound effects while I undressed her the rest of the way telling her what a big girl she was up on the potty. I think for me potty training is alot like the idea of labor while I was pregnant, some part of me understands it will come and has strong emotion about it, but mostly I am in complete denial.

Now completely naked Riley stretches up her arms signing "all done" having done nothing but sit and then brings her arms down around me to lower herself to the ground. She'd prefer to get down by herself, but past attempts ended with her foot in toilet water and Mommy mad, so she waits now.

She toddles over to the big bathroom mirror to admire herself sans clothes and perhaps make a few bath toy selections while I begin filling her tub. I hear her "talking" to herself and giggling and then she goes quiet. I immediately feel concerned, but nothing appears to be amiss except that when I call her to get in the bath she doesn't move. One of this girl's first words was bath, it's a highlight of her day. Something is weird here.

I turn back to the tub and shut off the water and that's when I hear her grunt. "No!" I think to myself "she won't." I turned back to see my beautiful naked little girl, who just got off the potty standing next to a pile of her own poop.

I made sure she hadn't touched it and with ninja like precision get it into the potty explaining "No, no Riley we don't go poopy on the floor. It goes in the potty. See?" She came closer, but didn't look in. "Now it's time to flush it away. Say bye, bye poopy in the potty." She waves in the direction of the toilet. She finally takes a good look once the flushing starts. As soon as she recovers from her awe Riley  heads for the tub with the enthusiasm of a skydiver exiting a plane.

I guess we're off to a running start now. I was just glad she didn't wait until I put her in the tub to go.

1 comment:

  1. Someday Kennedy will kill me for this. She pooped upstairs on our carpet a few months back. Jason was getting her ready for her bath and letting her run around naked when she got excited by one of the cats and pooped right there on the floor. 2 guesses who got called to clean that up.

    ReplyDelete