Saturday, May 5, 2012

Bringing Home Puppy

We couldn't wait another minute so we picked her up a day earlier than originally planned. Even one day post-op I had to have my puppy. It was relatively uneventful ride up to the breeder's house thanks to a big pillow and some Advil. I read my Golden Retriever book out loud on the way. It made me feel really good about how prepared we are. I also got a book that helps disabled people train there own service dog. When we got there a lot of the puppies had already made it to their new homes. They were as precious as ever. Riley and Isaac ran around playing while I collected and signed paper work.

I have wondered about how the puppies departing was going to effect the breeder. I saw her bid goodbye the puppy before ours with tears in eyes. Who could blame her. It's impossible not to love them. She asked me to send lots of pictures, which I was going to do anyway. I prepared myself for our little one to be upset the whole way home, but she did great. She fussed a bit and you could tell she was wondering where her siblings were. I held her all the way home. She dozed or looked out the window.

She's really, really sweet. She was definitly the dog for us. She came right in wagging her tail. She played and then went out to see the backyard and potty. We put her crate in our room since it was her first night away from her momma and siblings. She settled right in to sleep. She was up to go potty a few times, but almost no crying. At this point she's gone on the paper or outside every time. Go girlie go!

We're still working on her name. It's funny, but think we had an easier time naming the children.

2 comments:

  1. She's adorable and yes, naming a dog is hard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This so cool. Im in the process of applying for a service dog(if Im turned down I hope to get a well trained rescue dog and teach it the extra commands needed to be a service dog for me).

    ReplyDelete