Friday, May 4, 2012

Becoming Less Bionic

We all got up at 4am and had every dressed and in car by 4:30am. I was oddly calm. My usual early morning pre-sugery cry did not occur. I think running late is usually what sets me off and we were on time. I left my rings at home and wore a comfy sun dress. We dropped off and picked up on our way. We were so early getting to the hospital that the admission office wasn't open. Can you imagine, people lining up like concert goers at the hospital.

When we got up to the pre-op waiting area I was happy to see my favorite nurse in pre-op. That's how you know you've been to frequent a flyer. We chatted, but then she sent me to a "room" on the opposite then I've always had. It sounds stupid, but it was a little unnerving to me. On top of that I didn't get my favorite nurse. She's prepped me for every surgery I've had here. Unnerving. I was exhausted and nothing was right.

My nurse this time was nice, but I'm afraid she had big shoes to fill. Mike had to leave to take Isaac to school. I didn't have Mike or my nurse. My mom was sitting with me and I told her not to leave to get a soda because every time Mike has done that in past something bad has happened. She laughed at my story, but when she went to get a soda she got stuck in the elevator!

When I woke up I was groggy, but not out of it. They put me into a twilight instead of putting me completely under. I got to get all comfy on my belly with foam pillows on the operating table. I remember nothing after that point until I woke. That gave me 3 different anti-nausea meds. In recovery I talked the nurse and student doctor (who observed my surgery) ears off. I scored some ice chips too.

I was back in the pre-op area soon after that. My nurse gave me crackers and a ginger ale. I felt like a rock star at that point. Eating even a cracker or 2 was exciting. It was right after they pulled my IV and helped back into my dress that I started throwing up. Sigh.. All those anti-nausea meds couldn't over come all the drugs on empty stomach. I was afraid they'd make me stay, but they weren't overly concerned.

I was home by 1pm. It's hard to tell how successful it all was between the pain and drugs. I asked for the metal they took out. They said everything that comes out during surgery has to go to pathology before it can be released. Seems silly to me since it's not biological. I have to go back later to pick it up. I'm dying to see what it looks like since I've only seen it on x-ray. It may also earn me some cool points with Isaac.

3 comments:

  1. So glad everything went well! I hope the healing process is quick for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it went smoothly! Terra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad your surgery went well! That's silly your metal had to go to pathology. (we don't do that here). You should make some wind chimes from them:-). Stephanie

    ReplyDelete