Monday, May 7, 2012

Surgical Reflections

At first I was mad. I NEVER wanted to see my Old Ortho again. I wanted to take some time off from surgeries if not retire from them entirely. Then when it was clear it was the right thing to do I started to feel anxious. What if they take the hardware out and it doesn't help? What if I went through the whole process for nothing.

Now that I'm a few days out from surgery I can tell something is different. It's kind of like when you're at the end of your pregnancy and you have a tiny heel digging into your ribs for months and then it's gone. You don't immediately feel like a million bucks, because you're still sore and bruised. You feel different not great or horrible, but different. I'm tired and there's more pain then I anticipated, but even through all of that I can tell something is different.

I took the pre-surgery pain pill and they numbed the area during surgery so day one wasn't too bad. In the days following the pain came into sharper focus and my brain became less so. They gave me a prescription for pain medicine even after I asked them not to. I hate that stuff. I may feel better for a few minutes, but then I puke it up the rest of the day and feel druggy the following one too. Pass.

With two kids and a puppy you have to be "with it." I wish I was healed from this stupid hardware removal. From procedure to recovery is always a longer road then I remember.

My new scars are on top of my old one. I'm glad I can't see it. It looks like something from an old horror movie. Blah.. Mikes says I should tell everyone I had to have my angel wings removed again. I'm supposed to follow up with the Ortho in a week and get my staples out in two. Why he choose staples for two small incisions I don't understand. It makes the ugliest scars in my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Super Glue makes no marks at all and works amazingly well. We use it in our ER and there's a pkg of four small tubes in our first aid kit for the same use. Instant adhesion with no additional scarring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus no stitches/staples that need to be pulled. They used it on me after my laproscopic precedure.

      Delete