Tuesday, May 29, 2012

First Vet Visit

First before I get into puppy milestones and cuteness for an update on Pain-a-Palooza 2012. Above is a rather dramatic picture of Riley in Old Ortho's waiting room where we found ourselves this morning. It perfectly sums up my emotions about the situation as well. 1,000 words and none of them suitable for print. I called this morning and was told to come right that minute. He did a less than thorough exam at which point I looked him in the eye and said "it's a 10 on the pain scale. A 10. You've known me a long time. Have I ever given you a 10?" Then he sent me for an immediate MRI and after all that haste...wait until Friday to find out anything. Awesome.

In other more pleasant news today was Leeloo's first trip to the vet. She was adorable the whole time. I brought my mom for back up since the pain has made me less than capable of puppy duty. She refused to go out the front door until she knew I was coming. Then Leeloo entered the vet's office charming every human in her path. Clearly they were all there to see her.

Everyone was very nice. Excuse my ragged appearance it has been a rough few days. Leeloo gave them all kisses. She was 13lbs when we brought her home just under a month ago. Today she weighed 21.12lbs! Growing up...Puppies grow waaaaay faster than kiddos. She's healthy. She got two shots and her microchip without so much as a whimper. I was sooooo proud. We'll go back in a month for some more shots. We'll also be back around 6mo to get her spayed. The vet also recommended a site for tags that snap directly onto the collar instead of hanging down, cool.

The only slight mishap was that I had no idea her flea medicine was also heart worm and intestinal worm medicine so the poor puppy got double dose de-wormed. Oops. Poor sweetie. Mike was supposed to come with me and he knew, but he was stuck working through his lunch break. Hopefully it'll work its way out soon. I also pushed myself a little more (because the vet wasn't enough EYE ROLL) to go pick up some paperwork to help up the hubbie and failed. All and all not spectacular, but not bad for operating under duress. I try to be a good mommy to puppies and humans alike. No one can say I don't try. Yay, Leeloo my big brave girl.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie, its sounds like at least your doing your best to manage and I give you a lot of credit for that. So I guess if they are telling you to wait till friday the doctor doesn't think to strongly it's an infection... which is what I was really worried about for you to. Hopefully and even though Im sure it wouldn't be fun (but better than iv meds for an infecction)it's just something you did like over doing it or something and you stressed a muscle. I completely understand your thinking on not wanting pain meds those things ruin peoples lives and are very addictive. People thought I was crazy when I had the c-sec and only would take a perc when I was at the point of tears and in pain so bad I couldn't move. I didn't want to be doped up either and only took one when I absolutely had to for as short of a period of time as I possibly could. I hope everything goes well with your plans of travel later in the week, and the doctor gives you some answers. I know it's fustrating when they tell you to come in rite away, and you've been in pain wondering what to do over a long holiday weekend to only end up with more questions than answers. I'll keep positve thoughts going for you and Im sure everything is going to work out fine and before you know you'll be on your way to your exciting plans and this will be a quick distant memory. Keep us posted Im curious to find out what is really going on with the pain factor and what the cause of it is.

    ReplyDelete