Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Car Fail

I woke up in the middle of the night with a really intense pain in my abdomen. I tried to roll on to my belly on top of a pillow and it was excruciating to my back issue. Once I finally got comfy I was knocked out. I woke up once briefly heard Mike and Isaac talking and turned off my alarm. I didn't wake up again until 8:30 when Mike got back from dropping off Riley. Whoa, he did a morning by himself and I didn't wake up. So, I got out of bed gingerly. My abdominal pain was gone and if I moved carefully my back wasn't horrible. I got dressed and headed out the door to the hair appointment I made before the pain started.

I got a few minutes down the road and was in the left lane of a busy intersection when my engine stopped. No stutter or anything just silence. I took a deep breath, thanked God for the red light and tried to start my car. No dice. I put on my flashers and prayed. I tried again while dialing Mike. He knew what it was and how to fix it, but I was sitting in the left lane of a busy intersection and there was no way to get out and tinker and live. So I sat. People honked and screamed. People cursed me and with every turn of the light I got more anxious. It was the temperature of the sun in that car within seconds without the air or ability to crack a window.

I'm glad Riley wasn't with me. I'm glad I wasn't on the highway. I'm glad I didn't need to pee, but this sucked! What is with people anyway? Oh! This isn't a parking spot? Well good thing you honked and called me a stupid B*&%$% or I NEVER would have figured it out. Clearly, I've parked my car here to annoy you for my own enjoyment. Obviously, I'm perfectly capable of getting off the road, but simply prefer to live dangerously. Come on! Shake your head in sympathy and go around. After what felt like 4,000 cycles of the light some nice men helped me. They pushed my car to a gas station. Safely in the driveway of the gas station I let out a sigh of relief and a few tears. I called the salon to tell them I'd be late too.

Then cursing the pain in my shoulder blades like Captain Dan from Forrest Gump confronting the hurricane I disembarked the large paper weight. I limped along the side of the car slamming one crutch into the ground with more force than necessary. Then I opened the hood and the pain tore through me like a forest fire. Knowing for certain the mystery pain could in fact get worse I gritted my teeth and attempted once more to prop it open. Once I had the loose battery contact in my sights I slammed my crutch down on it with all the authority of Thor's hammer. Stupid mechanics at the stupid dealership had filed the stupid thing too short cleaning it once. Once I had banged out some rage on that sucker I limped back around towards my seat.

It was at that precise moment that Mike pulled up. That jerk and his timing I tell ya. Shaking with back spasms and dripping with sweat I yelled "I just banged on it." Without taking in the scene he asked, "Does it work." I had the keys in my hand and was just about to pull myself into position. Obviously, I'd tested it, turned it off and then climbed out of the car?!? Anyway, it started just fine.

There was a nice old man approaching my car just then with a sincere look of concern. God only knows how much he witnessed, but I can imagine seeing the gimp wincing in pain as she limped around her silent car taking two tries to get the hood open and then taking her frustration (albeit painfully) out on the engine. I shut the door and drove off before he ever got a chance to speak.

I didn't look back, but I think Mike acknowledged him as he climbed into his car. Sorry, nice man. You're a descent human being and I'm grateful. I am truly grateful for the folks who pushed me through the intersection to safety. I am grateful to Mike for dropping everything at work to came save me, despite his timing. It was a baaaaad few minutes. I lived. I was only a slightly late to my appointment (although no longer shower fresh). My car ran fine the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment